If you’re dealing with blemishes, chances are you’ve tried practically everything to get rid of them. Bumps and blemishes can happen at any age, from your teens all the way through your forties, and aside from being embarrassing, they can be painful and annoying.
Just as annoying as the occasional breakout, skin that looks tired, dull, and not as youthful as it once did is also frustrating.
Maybe it’s because you aren’t sleeping enough. Maybe it’s because you’re not eating a balanced diet. Or maybe it’s because your skin care routine needs some serious TLC in the form of some decent skin care products.
If skin care isn’t really your thing, we get it. But if looking great is important to you (and we all know it is), taking care of your skin needs to be a priority.
You can take care of your skin, deal with blemishes, and reveal a totally new complexion by using products that contain activated charcoal.
No, do not grab the bricks from your grill and smear them over your face.
Activated charcoal is an ingredient found in quality skin care products. It’s completely different from the stuff that cooks your steaks. It’s derived by heating sources of carbon (primarily wood). The result is a fine, odorless, black powder that resembles soot.
Activated charcoal is used for its incredible ability to absorb toxins. In fact, one teaspoonful of activated charcoal can absorb as much area as an entire football field.
Because it’s so absorbent, it is often used in medical settings to treat patients who have ingested something harmful (think stomach pumping). Activated charcoal quickly absorbs the toxic material, leaving the patient, well… alive.
This amazing absorption is also excellent for drawing out impurities in your skin.
If you’re still skeptical, we’ve got all the info you need on how activated charcoal can help you get great skin, and what products you should try right now.
Is Activated Charcoal Good for Your Face?
Yep. It actually is beneficial for your skin, and probably more so than brushing your teeth with black toothpaste.
Activated charcoal pulls out toxins, helping keep your skin clean and your pores clear.
One of the best ways to get the maximum benefit of activated charcoal is by grabbing a detoxifying facial mask. Applying a mask to your skin just once or twice a week can help clear your skin, rejuvenate and hydrate your skin cells, and create a more balanced and even skin tone.
Activated charcoal latches on to:
- Dirt and oil
- Toxins from the environment
- Irritants and ingredients building up from other products.
While activated charcoal is expert in removing these ingredients, you don’t have to worry about your skin feeling dry and dehydrated when you remove your mask, especially if you’ve got a mask that’s been specifically formulated to meet the needs of men’s skin.
Disco’s activated charcoal mask contains more than just pure activated charcoal. We also add in plant-based aloe and glycerin to make sure your skin is left feeling soft, hydrated, and smooth.
What Are the Benefits of Activated Charcoal?
We’ve already discussed how activated charcoal works to absorb toxins in the stomach and on your skin. But that’s not all you can expect from activated charcoal:
- Activated charcoal works great as a skin cleanser, again because of its ability to suck out impurities. Cleansing your skin with an activated charcoal cleanser can help loosen dirt, oil, and other impurities from your pores.
Be sure to choose a cleanser that contains a moisturizing ingredient, like coconut oil, so you don’t leave your skin stripped of its natural moisture balance.
How to: Use a charcoal-based cleanser twice a day; when you wake up and before you hit the pillow. You need both washes to keep your skin clean.
- Using a charcoal mask can help draw out these impurities from your skin’s pores so they can be washed away. This results in less blemishes, less razor bumps, and less ingrown hair.
How do blemishes form? Those irritating bumps happen when your pores become clogged with dirt, your own skin oil, products that aren’t good for your skin, and dead skin cells.
It’s important your mask includes other beneficial ingredients that work synergistically with activated charcoal so you get the best results possible. That’s why Disco’s detoxifying facial mask contains:
- Bentonite clay. This naturally occurring mineral clay is an expert at drawing out and removing oil from skin that is overproducing. If your skin feels greasy all the time, this ingredient can help it regulate back to it’s normal production levels.
- Willow Bark Extract. Willow bark extract works to soothe irritated skin. It has a definite astringent property that allows it to decrease puffiness and smooth it away. Willow bark extract is also amazing for helping with skin rejuvenation. If your biggest concern is skin that always looks dull, willow bark extract can help bring it back to life.
How to: Use an activated charcoal mask once or twice a week, for twenty minutes at a time all over your face, or in specific areas of concern. Apply the mask, let it dry, then gently remove it with a warm cloth (don’t scrub).
Don’t leave the mask on for more than 20 minutes as it can begin to feel incredibly dry and uncomfortable. At that point, the charcoal has done its work, and keeping it on longer isn’t necessary.
How to Begin Using Activated Charcoal
If you want to start using activated charcoal products in your skin care routine, you’ve got to first have a skin care routine.
You have to start somewhere, and Disco’s starter set is a great option. We’ve selected the most basic parts of a skin care routine and bundled them into a handy starter set option so you can spend more time on Snapchat and less time picking skin products.
Our starter skin care set comes with:
- Facial cleansing stick. Our facial cleansing stick is literally foolproof. Paint it on your face, rub it around with your hands, rinse it off. It’s that easy. Heavy duty activated charcoal digs deep into your dirty pores to de-gunk your face while coconut oil restores moisture levels and leaves your skin feeling smooth.
- Facial scrub. It’s hard for activated charcoal to do its job if it can’t penetrate your skin. Dead skin cells on the surface of your skin could be blocking the effects of your face wash or mask. Don’t let that happen.
Using Disco’s facial scrub can help remove that upper layer of dead skin and gunk so your activated charcoal products work phenomenally well. It’s skin care teamwork at its finest.
Pro tip: Don’t overdo it. You can use your facial scrub once or twice a week for optimal results.
- Hydrating face moisturizer. Every face needs moisture, including yours. The stuff you use on your body or hands isn’t as effective for the skin on your face.
Instead, use a facial moisturizer like Disco’s, that contains all-natural, plant-based ingredients that soothe, hydrate, replenish, and protect. You’ll get the added bonus of anti-aging properties from great ingredients like macadamia nut oil.
Once you’ve started your basic skin care routine, you’ll notice results fast. Your skin will feel more comfortable, look healthier, and you’ll notice less blemishes over time.
If you want to supercharge your skincare, you’re ready for the Disco advanced set.
The advanced set helps battle fine lines and wrinkles, and helps prevent and protect against blemishes.
Our advanced skin care set includes:
- Detoxifying face mask. Activated charcoal does its thing in this mask, which can be used twice weekly for up to twenty minutes at a time. Skin feels clean, healthy, and purer than you've been since you were a pre-teen.
- Repairing eye stick. It depuffs, de-wrinkles, and brightens your skin. This eye stick is chocked full of natural ingredients like caffeine, pycnogenol, and niacinamide, which reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and fight them from forming; reduce puffiness under the eyes; and help brighten the under eye area, erasing dark hollows to make you look more awake and alert.
The Final Verdict
Charcoal isn’t just for sweet, sweet grilling. The pure, refined, activated charcoal you’ll find in high-quality men’s skin care products like the ones here at Disco can help you get great looking skin that is healthier and more comfortable.
You can grab detoxifying activated charcoal products from Disco by signing up for our convenient three-month subscription plan. You’ll never run out of great products, and you never have to think about ordering.
Don’t want the subscription? That’s cool, we take one time orders, too.
Disco helps you get great skin with a subscription or a one time purchase and begin experiencing the benefits of activated charcoal without a huge commitment of time, numerous products, or hard to learn techniques.